Bull City Summer (BCS) documented the 2013 season at the Durham Bulls Athletic Park, home of the legendary minor league baseball team. Ten nationally and internationally acclaimed artists—photographers Alec Soth, Hank Willis Thomas, Hiroshi Watanabe, Alex Harris, Frank Hunter, Kate Joyce, Elizabeth Matheson, Leah Sobsey, and Jeff Whetstone, and video artist Ivan Weiss—converged on the stadium for all 72 home games, along with a group of writers led by Adam Sobsey and including Michael Croley, Howard L. Craft, Emma D. Miller, and David Henry.
- The Bull City Summer book, published by Daylight Books (June 2014), can be purchased HERE.
- An exhibition at the North Carolina Museum of Art runs through August 31.
- An exhibition at CAM Raleigh runs through August 31.
- A full-length documentary film by Ivan Weiss, Leaving Traces, is on display at CAM Raleigh.
- Two short films by Kate Joyce, PITCH and HIT, are on display at CAM Raleigh.
- A short film by Hank Willis Thomas – A Futile Attempt to Take a Portrait of Everyone Who Attended the Last Regular Season Game, 2013 – is on display at CAM Raleigh.
Press coverage for Bull City Summer – New York Times, Slate, Paris Review, and more – can be found HERE.
More details are available at www.bullcitysummer.org.
Video footage by Kate Joyce, edited by Ivan Weiss. Cover photo by Kate Joyce